British Sign Language (BSL)/English Interpreter
Complete Communication Ltd provides academic support to students in receipt of Disabled Student Allowance (DSA). We are passionate about providing high-quality support workers who can help to make a difference to our students studying higher education courses throughout the UK.
With recent and continued expansion, we are looking to expand the wealth of knowledge that we have with highly qualified and experienced specialist support staff. The role that we are currently looking for is a BSL/English Interpreter.
In your role you will provide one to one support to individuals who are deaf, disabled or hard of hearing. You will work in classes/lectures/workshops and placement settings to facilitating communication and access with deaf learners using a range of strategies and communication methods, as appropriate. Your role willl be to interpret between BSL-English and vise versa the spoken and written teaching materials to assist the student during their learning journey.
All candidates will have in-depth knowledge in supporting an individual with a particular disability whilst also being able to draw from experience.
An understanding of the demands associated with higher education study will be demonstrated. Relationships inside and outside of the institution will be maintained in order to establish a close working relationship with other support services the student maybe using, as well as allowing recognition for when and if there is a need to refer to other services.
One of the following qualifications is required for this role:
- UCLAN Postgraduate Diploma in BSL/English Interpreting and Translation
- Heriot-Watt University MA (Hons) BSL (Interpreting, Translating and Applied Language Studies)
- Heriot-Watt University MA (Hons) Languages (Interpreting and Translating) (Graduates studying BSL and the amalgamated fourth year course)
- Signature Level 6 NVQ Diploma in Sign Language Interpreting
- SLI Advanced Diploma in Interpreting and Translation: BSL-English
- iBSL Level 6 Diploma in BSL/English Interpreting Studies
- Wolverhampton University BA (Hons) in Interpreting (BSL/English) (graduates who achieve a first class degree from September 2017 onwards*)
- Queen’s University Belfast MA in Interpreting
- Durham University MA in Translation Studies (graduates successfully completing the professional pathway including MELA43930 addressed using spoken English and BSL) with additional evidence.
plus registration with one either NRCPD, RBSLI or SRLPDC (Formally SASLI)
Our support professionals offer
For this specific role, successful applicants will receive: Competitive rates of pay Free CPD accredited online training in relevant topics Flexible working patterns.
The working hours vary according to the needs of the student and their academic timetable. All support workers are paid on a self-employed basis whereby they are responsible for paying their own NI contributions and tax. We are looking for new and enthusiastic staff to carry the Complete Communication name and provide NMH support in a positive way. We are looking for people who are as passionate as we are about making further education accessible to all. This recruitment campaign is ongoing. This role is required UK wide.
Work with us
For information on how to register as a freelancer, please contact email@example.com or complete the below form. Include your name, contact details, qualification and which role you would like to register as.
show registration form